Artificial intelligence is a huge trend that is of interest to many people. It has the power to influence people’s decisions from one day to the next. Multinational Companies in the Information Technology industry are driving the development of artificial intelligence solutions.
Siri from Apple is one AI solution that is being used by millions of people around the world. Google and Amazon have also embedded artificial intelligence in their products to make them more useful and intuitive. Apple users can ask Siri to do anything – from sending a text to a loved one, to making dinner reservations to showing them which movies are showing at the theatres. Vehicle manufacturers are slowly perfecting self-driving cars and Echo from Amazon is making shopping online a much more intuitive experience.
The next frontier is artificial intelligence solutions coming from smaller companies. Of course the best ones tend to get acquired by the big boys so it is all the same in the end. Not all of them end up that way though. Instead of large universities and multinationals driving Artificial Intelligence – as they have in the past – this time it may very well be small companies and startups.
Two years ago Google spend $40m buying an Artificial Intelligence startup called Vicarious FPC in a widely talked about deal. Facebook has invested heavily in its own Artificial Intelligence lab.
While these are the most well-known, there are other, less well known artificial intelligence tools you can use. Here is a list:
- LegalRobot automatically goes through legal documents. This is an excellent business tool.
- CrystalKnows is a great tool for managing your personal communication.
- Gluru does not just put all your personal stuff (calendars, emails, documents) in order; it analyzes them and presents you with information you can actually do something with.
- Echo from Amazon is hands free voice operated smart device that just keeps getting smarter.
- Watson is a platform for mining volumes of data using machine learning and language processing to gain insights.
- Tamr takes Big Data to a whole different level.
- Vicarious specializes in algorithms for developers.
- Cortana is Microsoft’s answer to Siri. It is designed for Windows mobile.
- X.ai puts together all your schedules and helps you get more organized.
- Intraspexion is an early warning system for risk of litigation. It helps you avoid getting sued.
- Soar is a great tool for developing intelligent systems.
- OpenCV is used for computer vision programming.
- Scaled Inference is a cloud based tool for choosing models
- Enlitic offers deep learning for healthcare
- Zebra Medical Vision helps patients find medical research that is relevant to them through AI and data.
- DeepGenomics is a tool for precision medicine. It helps with genetic testing and treatment.
- Mttrnet is a robotics tool for building flying vehicles.
- Skycatch is a robotics tool that automates aerial systems.
- IdentifiedTech is a robotics tool that automates industrial mapping drones.
- IN Space, SpaceKnow keeps follows global economic trends from outside our hemisphere while
- OrbitalInsight helps to comprehend global issues by following the trends from space
- DigitalGenius is a customer service tools that drives personal communication with customers to improve services.
- Conversica is a marketing tool helps businesses identify and contact new customers.
Artificial Intelligence may not always deliver new services. It may often just be used to improve an existing service. Google for instance, has used artificial intelligence to make its search business better. More and more students are signing up to study artificial intelligence in universities across the globe, a sign that the field can only get better.
In 2016, it is expected that deep learning will be an important area of focus. Supercomputers will power even better results from deep learning.
While most people have come to accept machines taking over blue caller jobs, it is expected that even white collar jobs will start being taken over by artificial intelligence.
Artificial Intelligence will also work to connect more and more objects. From Smart phones, TVs, home theatres, laundry machines etc. Every object will be smart and connected to another object.
Let’s not forget about SILVIA; a flexible, very advanced lightweight system which was created for developing natural language applications. It learns, interacts and understands humans in order to deliver solutions to problems that lay ahead. It is something that has never been seen before and a good start to boost human productivity and enhance our work.
When Artificial Intelligence begins to develop the ability to decipher human emotions, it will be awhile new horizon.